Dental bonding is a fast and effective way to fix cosmetic dental issues. The procedure is performed using tooth-colored resins that are applied directly to teeth and cured with an ultraviolet light.It takes 30 to 60 minutes to repair a tooth with composite resin. The treatment only requires a single visit to a dentist, and…
How Is Dental Bonding Used in Cosmetic Dentistry?
Dental bonding has a variety of uses in cosmetic dentistry, and it is one of the more affordable ways to improve the appearance of a person's teeth. These treatments involve applying a putty-like composite directly to teeth being restored. These composites are color-matched with the person's real teeth so repairs made blend in.
How dental bonding works
Also known as composite bonding, the composites used for the treatment are mixtures of glass and composite. Below are some issues that dental bonding is often used to fix:
- Gaps between teeth: a composite resin can be used to close up small gaps between teeth. The composite is inserted into the hole and shaped so it looks like the two teeth next to the gap are right next to each other.
- Deformed teeth: composites can be used to fix various deformities of teeth. The composite can be shaped as desired after being applied to create the appearance the patient wants.
- Chipped or broken teeth: composites can be used to fix minor chips and breaks. More severe damage to a tooth might require a dental crown.
- Stained or discolored teeth: teeth whitening treatments are the standard way to improve the color of teeth, but some stains–like those caused by fluorosis–do not respond to the bleaching agents used. Such stains can be covered up with a composite to create the appearance of whiter teeth.
- Tooth decay: silver amalgam fillings were once the go-to solution for cavities, but studies that reveal mercury as toxic has changed this. Composite fillings are a more popular option nowadays. They are safe for patients, and the color of the filling blends in with the color of teeth repaired.
Composite bonding is one of the least invasive treatments used in cosmetic dentistry and it does not require the removal of enamel. The dentist simply uses an etching solution to roughen up the tooth so the composite adheres to it better. It is a reversible treatment, so the patient can still explore other treatment options like crowns and veneers in the future. Local anesthetics are usually not used during the application of composites unless the treatment is being used to fill cavities.
Once the etching solution has dried up, the dentist will start applying composites to the tooth layer by layer. Each layer is shaped as desired before being hardened with a curing light. The process is repeated over and over until the desired look is achieved.
There is no recovery period after getting a tooth restored with dental bonding. Patients are advised to avoid eating or drinking things that stain teeth, like coffee, for the first few days after treatment. Composites are more susceptible to staining than real teeth.
Restore your teeth with dental bonding
Composite bonding gives you a non-invasive way to improve the aesthetics of your teeth. It gives you instant results, so you walk out of the clinic with your smile restored. Call or visit our Baton Rouge clinic to set up an appointment.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Dental Bonding in Baton Rouge, LA.
Dental bonding involves applying a tooth-colored resin to the tooth, repairing a broken, cracked or damaged tooth. Dental bonding is a common procedure that we perform on a regular basis for our patients.Dental BondingAt Elizabeth H Guerrero DDS in Baton Rouge, we work to customize your treatment to match your needs and schedule where possible.…
Looking for more information on cosmetic dentistry? Great! The more you learn about the cosmetic dental choices available these days, the more informed you will be when it comes to making an ultimate decision. While many people associate cosmetic dental treatments with the need to undergo serious or long-term dental treatments, this is not always…
Cosmetic dental care allows patients to receive the dream smile they've always wanted. You can enhance your smile in a variety of ways for a healthier and better lifestyle. Call us for more details today.Cosmetic Dental CareAt Elizabeth H Guerrero DDS in Baton Rouge, we work to customize your treatment to match your needs and…